Golden Bridges sponsors
Ireland Northwest is the fourth largest population centre on the island of Ireland. Our unique cross border location provides unfettered access to UK and EU markets, with a total market opportunity of 5.14 million people.
The Ireland Northwest region is comprised of both Derry City and Strabane District Council and Donegal County Council areas with a population of 350,000 residents and a strong track record in attracting FDI with over 40 current overseas businesses serving international markets from the region.
Why Invest in the Ireland Northwest Region?
- Strategic border location – Unfettered access to both EU & UK markets.
- Talent – Highly skilled, loyal and educated labour pool/talent pipeline.
- Digital connectivity – Directly connected to America and Europe through high-capacity fibre optic cables.
- Established location – Dynamic Existing Clusters in Fintech, Medtech & Advanced Engineering.
- R&D – State of the art Research and Innovation Hubs through third-level institutes and private sector organisations.
- Leaders in the area of Remote and Hybrid working.
- Partnership – Support from Government Departments, Local Authority, local Chamber of Commerce and academia working hand in hand with industry to ensure your NW operations will be a success.
- Agility – Ability to develop education and skills programmes tailored to support companies investing.
Invest Northern Ireland is the economic development agency for Northern Ireland. Our Americas team supports trade and investment between Northern Ireland and the USA, Canada and Latin America.
More than 1,100 international firms have discovered that Northern Ireland is the ideal location for business expansion.
Companies like Allstate, Rapid7, EverQuote, Cygilant, Liberty IT, HighRoads and Safety NetAccess benefit from our talented workforce, competitive operating costs, and world-class infrastructure. They also enjoy our high standard of living, business-friendly support, and easy access to global markets.
Invest Northern Ireland helps US companies scale internationally by introducing them to Northern Ireland’s high-quality, cost-effective, scalable talent pool, while providing guidance and support throughout the lifespan of their investment. We offer tailored overseas expansion guidance, financial incentives, and soft landing support, which can include:
- Talent validation
- Employment, training and R&D incentives
- Market development
- Property selection
We are the only location in Europe where investors benefit from Assured Skills: a 100% free, customized training and recruitment program which ensures appropriately qualified, skilled staff are available to businesses locating in Northern Ireland.
Visit InvestNI.com/International to learn how your company can grow in Northern Ireland.
Northern Ireland Bureau is the diplomatic mission of the Northern Ireland Executive in the United States and Canada. We work to cultivate and strengthen links between various political, economic, educational, and cultural interests in Northern Ireland and North America. We also serve as a resource for individuals and organisations looking to learn and understand more about Northern Ireland, and about its relationship with the United States and Canada.
Our primary role is to promote Northern Ireland in the USA and Canada as:
- a creative, dynamic, peaceful and flourishing place, with an outward-looking, modern and resilient approach;
- a great partner for business trade and investment, for tourism, for policy collaboration and for further and higher education, including collaboration on research and development; and
- a region that is a showcase for the benefits of meaningful engagement and collaboration across the political spectrum, of the kind that helped deliver a peaceful Northern Ireland.
We work closely with a number of organisations, businesses, and institutions throughout the year to showcase the many positive developments and contributions—political, academic, cultural and civic—that are of interest to our North American audience.
NI Bureau Director: Andrew Elliott
NI Bureau Deputy Director: Eamonn McConville
Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination. It was established as one of the “six areas of co-operation” under the framework of the Belfast Agreement of Good Friday 1998. Tourism Ireland’s remit is to increase tourism to the island of Ireland and to support Northern Ireland to realise its tourism potential.
Tourism Ireland delivers world-class marketing programmes in over 20 markets across the world. Targeted marketing activity includes TV advertising, outdoor media, print, digital advertising, social media, influencer marketing, overseas publicity, co-operative marketing with carriers and other partners, and promotions to the travel trade and consumers.
In 2019, the island of Ireland welcomed almost 11.3 million overseas visitors to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of over €5.8 billion which supported 325,000 vital jobs in communities across the island.
Ulster University is a modern, forward-looking institution with student experience at the very heart of everything we do. Our high-quality teaching, informed by world-leading research across key sectors, boosts the economy and has a positive impact on the lives of people around the world.
The beautiful Magee Campus is home to a wide range of health programmes enabling a rich, interdisciplinary student learning environment, as well as research collaborations in personalised medicine and cognitive analytics.
- Ulster University’s School of Nursing at Magee is the number one school of nursing on the Island of Ireland. The multi award-winning school was recently ranked 6th in the UK and among the top 50 in the world.
- The School of Nursing hosts and operates a vital Nursing Midwifery Council Competence Testing Centre; recently expanded to meet growing demand, and one of just three in the UK, supporting nursing capacity in the UK and reflecting our expertise and leadership in nursing.
- We welcomed the first intake of 70 students to our Graduate Entry School of Medicine in August. It offers a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) medical degree programme that is unique in Northern Ireland.
- NI’s first BSc Paramedic Science degree is offered at Magee, the first cohort of 40 students is undertaking year one this year.
- Undergraduate Health Sciences programmes including physiotherapy, podiatry, radiography and more will relocate to Magee from the Jordanstown campus (which is closing) from September 2022, bringing over 800 students to Magee.
- Based at Magee and Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry Londonderry, our Undergraduate Stratified Medicine course is the only course of its kind.
City Deal Investment
Unquestionably, the bold, transformational opportunities enabled by City Deals investment recognise the crucial role that Ulster University can play as part of an integrated plan, working with partners to regenerate the economy of the North West.
The City Deal has education, innovation, job creation and skills development at its core and each of these priorities are also central to our work across both teaching and research.
All four projects build upon the Magee Campus’ existing reputation as a Research and Innovation centre of excellence and an interdisciplinary hub for Medical and Health Sciences teaching:
- Centre for Industrial Digitalisation, Robotics and Automation (CIDRA)
CIDRA will support industry and commerce in the adoption and exploitation of industrial digital technologies, robotics and automation, promoting innovation and accelerating new applications in the service sectors. The creation of more innovative and competitive businesses that have adopted new and emerging digital and smart technologies will improve productivity and create new high value jobs.
- The Cognitive Analytics Research Laboratory (CARL)
CARL is a new cutting-edge Applied Research Centre that brings together data analytics and Artificial Intelligence (AI) expertise which are key technologies for future innovation. The Centre seeks to exploit the advances in High Performance Computing by applying AI and Machine Learning techniques to sectors as diverse as health, financial technology, media, energy and public policy, ensuring industry is better equipped to grasp global opportunities, deliver businesses impact and create more high value jobs.
- The School of Medicine
A game-changer for the region, the School of Medicine seeks to address the ongoing medical work-force shortage across the medical profession in Northern Ireland. The School of Medicine trains new doctors and has a far-reaching impact, contributing to the future of our health system and the well-being of the people of the region.
- The Transformation Healthcare Research Innovation Value Based Ecosystem (THRIVE)
Embedding world-class medical research in the heart of our community, THRIVE is a visionary healthcare project which meets urgent local and global healthcare needs. THRIVE will create a new healthcare quarter in the city with the development of a Healthcare Research Institute (HRI).